Friday, May 20, 2011

Firsts

Today was a day of firsts in Paris. We started off the day with our first breakfast at St. John's University. Of course, it included a French Baguette slice, and then cereal. Except in France, I believe that they use whole, room temperature milk. It was very odd, and me being someone who is not the biggest milk drinker to begin with found it not the best I have ever had. My roommate and I then passed out until about noon (still a little jet lagged) and then we were off for the day! We toured some of the stores that the area has to offer, as well as visit the offices of the people who were guiding our trip. This involved a trip on the Metro, the underground transportation of Paris which is notorious for gypsies and pick pocket-ers. I was finally able to buy a converter and blow dryer too! They are small things, but essential for me! Another first today was the tasting of crepes. I decided to go with the Nutella and bananas flavor, and it was one of the best things I have ever tasted! The man made it on the spot for us in his little hut. It had a slightly crunchy exterior, and the inside was gooey and with so much flavor and aroma there was no one that could have denied eating all of it.With dinner later that night at Cafe un Metro, I also had my first glass of Parisian wine. The cheapest one they had at the cafe was one of the best red wines that I have had. I can't wait to bring back lots of bottles for everyone to enjoy! I ended up having salmon for dinner, perfectly cooked of course, and then we headed to the Eiffel tower for the last first of the day. My roommate Jennifer and I got completely lost. We wandered around the city for about an hour and a half, trying to find the tower and the group that we had left because we decided that they were walking a little too slow for our taste. After a valiant effort to find the tower by ourselves, we ran into two Americans with maps who pointed us in the proper direction, which we were not previously headed in. So around 10:30 pm, we found our group sitting on the large lawn in front of the tower, introducing themselves and sharing fun facts with each other. A half a bottle later and finally seeing the Eiffel Tower's hourly light show, the cold and fatigue was setting in, so a group of us girls, a little influenced by the wine and the long day, headed back to St. John's. Jennifer and I led the way after getting lost in and then knowing some of the ways around the city. It is starting to become a little familiar, and hopefully it will be after the lengthy six weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment